Working and learning remotely is a favorable option given to employees and students respectively which allows them to perform their roles and duties from the comfort of their houses or anyplace with a good internet connection and a personal computer.
It’s a preferred option as it helps save the commuting costs, time and gives them a chance to pursue their passion in the free time. It is also a feasible option as it’s supported by cloud computing, improved technological communication tools and devices and all the dynamic technological advances.
BENEFITS OF WORKING REMOTELY
About 30% of the workforce works remotely and this trend is growing slowly yet steadily as it is favorable to the companies as well for the following reasons
- Anytime, anywhere – You can work from anywhere, be it your home, a café or some other city/country. A person can also work at any time of the day.
- No formal clothing – Unless and until it’s a video conference call to be attended, getting formally dressed is not required. You can wear pajamas all day while working remotely.
- Flexible timings- Working parents can spend time with their children when working remotely. Employees can also use their free time follow their passion.
- Learn new skills – When working remotely, a person has to inevitably learn new methods of communication, learn the usage of applications and software to connect to the company’s networks and fix their personal computers if any issue occurs.
- Save time and money – when an employee works from home, he not only saves his travelling expenses but also time spent in the commute.
BENEFITS OF REMOTE LEARNING
- Save time and money – a person saves money of commute and has a lot of free time which he saves up by not travelling to and fro to the institution.
- More than one course – a person can take up more than one course online and learn those courses simultaneously.
- Learn and work – a person taking up remote learning can also work while studying. It helps in his career growth as well.
DRAWBACKS OF REMOTE WORKING AND LEARNING
Even though the benefits of working and learning remotely sound good, there are always cons to everything. Drawbacks to remote learning and working are the same.
- Limited social life – A human being is a social animal and needs to be in the company of his friends and colleagues. Conversations are limited over phone calls and video chats.
- Many distractions –One might think working remotely gives you leisure time but in fact when a person works remotely they might procrastinate, their family might be a distraction and they might end up doing lesser work than what they usually get done in office. Likewise, while remote learning, the learner’s family might be a distraction, he/she might not completely listen to the lecture which leaves him with half learned concepts.
- Communication barriers – there might be issues in communication networks, internet connectivity and not everyone might be free to talk at the same time which might be an obstacle in their work. When there are network issues during an online class, the learner might miss out on certain concepts.
It is always important to decide and religiously dedicate few hours of the day to working or learning remotely. You have to make sure that during this time you do not allow yourself to get distracted by anyone or anything.
Learning or working remotely can be done either in your house, a café or any place where you are sure that you will guarantee complete your work with a peace of mind. This will help you stay stress-free for the rest of the day and make your boss stay off your back.
Working or learning remotely helps you to take care of yourself and though the drawbacks seem to be discouraging, there is a lot to gain from working or learning remotely. Many people are learning about the benefits of working and learning and are leaning towards this growing trend.