SBI PO exam is for the aspirants who are interested in the banking job. Getting through the exam is like a dream coming true for the aspirants who look forward to being recruited in the largest public sector bank.
This exam is conducted by the State Bank of India for the selection of probationary officers. It is considered a prestigious organization that provides a good salary and job security along with several perks, so as a result, several candidates appear for the exam out of which only a few get selected. The candidate has to clear all three phases that are prelims, mains and the interview.
Advantages of SBI PO exam
It is a very good opportunity for candidates who wish to make their career in banking. The second advantage is the great salary and the security of the job. Candidates who get recruited will have lifelong security which is an important aspect.
The procedure of the recruitment through the SBI PO exam
- The first step is the registration process where the aspirant has to fill an online SBI PO exam application form.
- The candidates should clear the three stages of the exam.
- The preliminary and the Mains examination is conducted online.
- The third is the group discussion and the personal interview.
- The eligible candidates should have completed all three stages successfully.
- The selection is based on a merit basis only.
Syllabus of the SBI PO preliminary exams.
The SBI preliminary has three topics: English language, Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning Ability. The English Language consists of topics like sentence improvement, para Jumbles. Spelling errors, Word replacement, Vocabulary and Idioms and Phrases.
Quantitative aptitude includes the topics Simplification, Number system, Percentage, SI & CI, Quadratic equations, Ratio and Proportion, Speed, Time and Distance, Probability, Permutations and combinations, Mensuration, Profit and Loss, Data Interpretation.
Reasoning ability includes the topics like Logic Reasoning, Alpha Numeric series, Blood Relations, Puzzle, Seating arrangements, Coding and Decoding, Syllogism.
Syllabus for the main exams.
The topics for the English language are Fill in the Blanks, Cloze test, Para jumbles, Vocabulary, Paragraph completion, Multiple meaning, Error spotting, Sentence Completion, Tense rules. Reasoning Ability includes the topics like Syllogism, Circular Seating Arrangement, Linear Seating Arrangement, Double Line up, Scheduling, Input-Output, Directions and Distance, Analytical and Decision Making, Critical Reasoning, Course of action, Coding and Decoding, Data Sufficiency, Ordering and Ranking, Blood Relations and Scheduling. Aspirants should also be aware of the General Awareness syllabus includes Current Affairs, Financial Awareness, General Knowledge, Static Awareness, Banking Awareness, Banking Terminologies and Principles of Insurance. The Aspirants should be aware of the basic knowledge of computer hardware and software. The descriptive test consists of two sections that are essay writing which could include the topics connected to economy, politics and culture. The letter writing could be the official or the business letters.
Eligibility for the SBI PO exam
The candidate must be in the age grou[p of 21 to 30 years and should be a graduate of the recognized university.
Examination Pattern of the Exam
For the preliminary, the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability and the English language consist of 35 questions each carrying one mark. The time duration for each subject is 20 mins.
For the Mains, the subjects include Data Analysis and Interpretation which has 35 questions, the marks assigned is 60 and the time duration is 45 minutes.
Reasoning Ability has 45 questions with 60 marks and the time duration is 60 minutes.
The English Language has 35 questions and has a weightage of 40 marks with a time duration of 40 minutes.
General and Banking Awareness has 40 questions each carrying 1 mark with a time duration of 30 minutes.
Descriptive with two sections carrying 50 marks with a time duration of 30 mins.
Group discussion and interview will be 20 and 30 marks respectively.
Some of the tips below would help in the preparation for the exam easily and systematically.
- The candidates preparing for the exam should know that the syllabus is very vast and there is tough competition. One should not ignore any sections or topics. The first step is always to have an effective study strategy that covers all the syllabus in the prescribed time. This is because if you finish before the time, you will have enough time to revise.
- Regular mock tests will enhance your preparation and also give you confidence.
- Solving the sample question papers with the latest examination pattern will give you an idea of the questions and also you will know how to manage the time.
- Reading of the newspapers, journals and the magazines will help you to apprehend the grammatical and the vocabulary skills and also will be aware of the current affairs which would be an advantage while giving the mains.
- Since it is negative marking there is no question of guesswork. You have to be thorough with each section and topic.
- Most importantly the right mindset with a positive approach is important. If you are just preparing the syllabus and if you still have negativity in you still then the result also be negative.
- While you practise the mock test you should keenly focus on the questions to be attempted and the questions which should be left blank as some questions will be time-consuming and will take much of your time. Be very careful while choosing the questions.
- Practise solving the questions and make it your daily routine.
- Start solving one mock test paper every day and you can increase to solving more in a day once you pick up the speed. You can know the questions which are repeatedly coming in the papers.
- Referring to the proper study material and the reference books is very important. Don’t keep on buying the books and reading all of them as it will just create confusion.
The SBI PO exam is tough and has a vast syllabus. At the same time with the proper focus, positive attitude and accurate study strategy should make it in the exam. The method might be very simple but if followed in the right manner can make you the top scorer as well. To know more, visit this website.