Every construction plan involves a lot of small tasks that are to be performed immediately after the plan is proposed so that it can be made sure that the construction plan will work here or not. One of the most important tasks in this is the soil testing of the land. For any of the construction plans whether it is road project, building project, or another commercial or public construction project. For different construction projects various soil testing instruments are used.
Nowadays every construction company is into the business of road. So different soil testing methods are done before the road construction. Let’s have a look at them.
- In-situ moisture content: this test is carried out in the laboratories to check the percentage of water in the soil. The content of water in the soil signifies many important things like particle size, compaction, permeability, etc.
- The specific gravity of soil: this test is also carried out in the laboratory which helps to find out the ration of the weight of the soil in the air at the standard temperature to the weight of the soil in the distilled water at the same temperature.
- Particle size distribution: this test will help to determine the soil particle size; this test will help to know the stability of the soil for the road construction. This test can predict the soil and water movement while construction.
- Compaction test: this test is also known as a proctored test that is used for the determination of the mass of the soil per cubic meter that will help you to know the maximum dry density of the soil to the optimum moisture content. This test provides you to know almost all the characteristics of the soil.
- California bearing test: this test is also conducted in the laboratory to know the penetration resistance of the soil. The CBR value is obtained by measuring the relationship between penetration and force when a plunger is allowed to penetrate the soil at the standard rate. This test will help you to know the strength of pavements and roads. This is one of the most common and flexible tests conducting before the construction of the roads.
So these are the tests performed before the road construction. Now let’s have a look at the points that are to be considered while soil testing.
- Sampling and testing: some soil tests are conducted both in laboratories and some on the site. So it is better to go for an experienced engineer to perform these tests. The volume of soil will be different at different points of the road project so choose the sample carefully.
- Test data logging: all the logging of the soil samples should be done by the trained staff who are well experienced in this field and have all the knowledge related to this.
- Testing frequency: the frequency of testing depends as per the inputs from the engineer. The frequency is basically decided to look at the previous test results.
So according to the tests performed the soil testing apparatus must be used.